Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A Day in Paris

From Athens I flew back to Amsterdam and took a bus to Paris where I was due to fly out to Barcelona. Phew. All because of some bad planning on my part.

So I had a nice long day in Paris. I found my hostel and it had a beautiful view of the Sacre Coeur (spelling!!). It looked nice and cosy and it wasn't until I took a shower that I realised how crummy it actually was. The shower did not shower, it merely misted. Oh boy. Water bottle to the rescue!

Step 1: Fill up water bottle with warm water from tap
Step 2: Scuttle back to shower and upend water bottle over head
Step 3: Repeat and add soap/shampoo as appropriate.

You get the idea?

That aside, I happily put on the boots Jason gave me last birthday and walked from Montmarte (my favourite place in Paris) to Champ Elysee, through Tuileries, to Louvre, across to St Germain for a gorgeous macaroon by Pierre Herme. Pierre Herme has chocolate boutiques in Paris and Japan and by boutique I mean a Tiffany-lookalike place where chocolates are displayed in glass cases like the finest jewels. DROOOOOL.


So I got my gorgeous macaroon (pink rose petal one in right hand corner), I proceeded to a nearby square and tore into it like a ravenous beast. Apparently there were riots or strikes or something because there were policemen all around but one of them was kind enough to wish me "Bon Appetit". I felt so safe munching on my massive macaroon. It was the size of my palm. Words could not begin to describe its delicate rose flavour, airy crisp macaroon-y bits and the sweet yet tangy lychee bits. So you should just fly down to Paris and buy yourself one.


Ouch Ouch OUCH. Cobblestones and heels are not on friendly terms. After I finished my munchies, I walked down to the Musee d'Orsay. Horrible long queue. Feet hurt. Go to Champ Elysee to get new shoes. See tall lean Frenchie, flag him down, ask him where the metro is, yummy Frenchie takes me there. That's one french fry i would definitely eat. Lol.

Waddle into GAP, grab a pair of grey-silver ballet flats. oOooooOooooOOOOOOhh... SO GOOD.

woke up at 4am the next day to start hike to bus station being that there were no buses or metro and didnt want to take a cab cos it would be ´too expensive´ (such a joke). walked and walked and walked with aching shoulders from backpack and dumbass wheelie which insisted on banging my heels every two minutes. to top it off, it decided to start drizzling. so there i was, hot, sweaty and cold. gross. it was abt 545 when i decided i couldnt make it on time and tried wavng down cabs who all happily ignored me. continued walking, found a metro but... it was the wrong line!! at this pt of time, i sort of knew it was a gone case. but i persisted. no cabs, no bus, only rain. finally met a nice french lady who told me how to get to the nearest metro ( i.e. the one i just left) and also the real time. it was 610 not 5.50. ARGH. gave up cos bus left station at 6 and no more buses till the next flght which was god knows when. called a cab which screwed me out of 120 euros (including a self-awarded tip, no doubt because i fell asleep and farted in the cab). made my flight but my carry on was too heavy for ryanair (wheelie) so opened it to remove some stuff to put in backpack. to my horror, my extra bag and seeping bag were missing! but thankfully my gucci boots were still there. dumbass thieves.

made made made my flight for which i will be forever thankful although at that price i could have got a full service flight and not needed to wake up at such an ungodly hr. now in barcelona and im consoling myself with the fact that, after this morning... THINGS CANNOT GET ANY WORSE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home